Thursday, November 12, 2015

Quarter-Life Crisis

"For faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we cannot see," (Heb 11:1).
The Quarter-Life Crisis is a fairly new concept; it refers to someone in their 20's who is suddenly struggling for a sense of who they are.
And friends, I'm right in the middle of mine.
So many things that used to take up a large part of my identity are over - student, roommate, worker, etc...- and the roles I thought would be starting - master's student, counselor, wife - are kind of on hold.
Because God's grace is made perfect in my weakness (2 Cor 12), I'm going to candidly admit something to you: I am sad. And I have been floundering.
I lost track of who I am.
Because my identity should never have been in academics or work or any people/person.
My identity is from God; He says I'm redeemed, chosen, loved, His, and that's enough for me.
Do I still feel a bit directionless? Yes.
But I don't feel pointless or purposeless anymore, because I know that the directions will come in time.
There is no sin in being sad that things are over or on hold; in fact, I think of sadness like an allergic reaction because we were not made to experience loss and allergic reactions aren't willful and therefore aren't sinful. The sin starts when that sadness turns into allowing myself to doubt God for the future, neglect the important things in the present, and not believe that I am who He says I am.
So today I'm going to take my Zyrtec, do my Bible reading, and move forward with the confidence that there are good things planned for my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment